Here are a few facts about the needs for diapers and the link to Nashville Diaper Connection if you would like to help in another way.
What is diaper need?
· Diaper need is the lack of a sufficient supply of disposable diapers for a child to remain clean, dry and healthy.
Diaper need in Nashville is overlooked problem.
· In 2017, Nashville has over 7,550 children age three and younger living at or below the poverty level.
· Disposable diapers often cost over $85 per month per child and cannot be purchased through any state or federal assistance program.
· Food Stamps and the Women, Infant and Children (WIC) program classifies diapers with cigarettes, alcohol and pet food.
· Without any form of support, mothers often must make the choice of buying food, paying rent, or buying diapers.
· Beyond those in poverty, one in three low to moderate wage earners report they struggle to buy diapers.
The consequences of diaper need are disheartening.
· Babies who remain too long in a soiled diaper are exposed to potential health risks including increased instances of child abuse.
· Maternal depression and family stress is significantly increased in homes that struggle to provide this basic necessity.
· Most childcare centers, even free and subsidized facilities, require parents to provide a day's supply of disposable diapers to allow the child to participate.
· Many parents cannot go to work or school if they can’t leave their babies at child care.
· Children that participate in early childhood education programs are 3 x more likely to complete high school and go onto higher education. Children that don't participate in early childhood education programs are 3 x more likely to NOT read at grade level at the end of the 3rd grade. These children are far more likely to drop out of high school.
· Additionally, 3rd grade performance statistics are used by Tennessee to forecast future prison bed needs.
What Can You Do?
· Help spread the word about Diaper Need in Nashville
· Volunteer with Nashville Diaper Connection by wrapping and delivering diapers
· Promote a diaper drive or diaper wrapping event at your employer, church or school
· Make a donation to support our mission, at nashvillediaperconnection.org