Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Fitness Spotlight of the week: Ms. Zuri

My name is Zuri Benion and I was born and raised here in Nashville, Tennessee. I am a proud graduate of Nashville School of the Arts where I studied dance. I have a Bachelors of Business Administration in Entrepreneurship from MTSU. I am currently the Toddler Two teacher here at the Academy of Maryland Farms. I am also a dance teacher and choreographer at the Dancer’s E.G.D.E. 

I have been so excited to share my love of Pilates and movement with the families here for Fitness Fanatics month. During my time at MTSU I was exposed to Pilates and I instantly feel in love. It was such a simple workout but could still give you a total workout. I took the dive and started the Balanced Body teacher training program in July of 2017. I instantly became more aware of how the body works and various ways to improve my movement. My training experience made a great impact on my life as it brought to light that Pilates is much more than a method of working out but a lifeline to many people. During one workshop it was brought to attention that I had what is called functional scoliosis, which is a lateral deviation of the spine which in my case was caused by a leg length discrepancy. Being a dancer I always knew that things didn’t always line up but that discovery made everything make sense. I became very apparent that there are many demographics don’t have safe environments due to lack of education to move their bodies and Pilates provides that for such a broad group of people.

The biggest take away from my training program was that I was able to make a lasting change on body and constantly not be in pain and when I am being able to address the root of the problem. My goal is to spread this knowledge to my dance students to act as an injury prevention tool but also a rehab element if they need it. I currently finish up my practice hours and hope to test out while spreading my love for Pilates and movement in the process.